The Houston Chronicle article, “A dirty campaign about decades-old bad deeds”, was received detailing potentially unethical activity by “Moving Texas Forward” PAC (Treasurer Lashonda Johnson).
Issues contained within include:
(1) Fleming “… funded a dirty campaign full of half-truths and innuendo that ended up ousting Kirkland …” in 2012.
(2) Texas Ethics Commission documents of the “Moving Texas Forward” PAC do not show any relationship to Mr. Fleming prior to 2014; however, it shows a contribution received this year from “Texans for Good Leaders” PAC (Treasurer Mary Marusik). This particular PAC is recorded as contributing to Ms. Palmer who won against Mr. Kirkland in 2012. One of the most significant contributors to the PAC that year was Mr. Fleming. (Details from the reports to be posted below).
(3) “Kirkland’s DWIs are shameful, no doubt. But the attack ads never mention the dates of the arrests. On the contrary, they make it seem like they happened yesterday. ‘We interrupt this program for this breaking news,’ one radio ad begins, before launching into Kirkland’s past offenses. It notes Kirkland’s ‘history of high-risk behavior that is likely to be repeated.’ A woman’s voice warns, ‘You or your child or family could be Steven Kirkland’s next victim.’ Kirkland says only one station aired the ad but then stopped after his lawyer sent a warning letter.”
(4) “Jordan [Gray’s campaign consultant] denied that the ads were misleading, including one mailer featuring scary drunken driving statistics and court documents detailing Kirkland’s conviction, jail sentence and license suspension. The only date provided is one featured prominently, in big type, near the top right: May 2012…Jordan’s explanation for the May 2012 reference? It was the date a photo of Kirkland included in the ad was taken. Apparently, it’s more important we know when a random photo of Kirkland was taken in his chambers than when he actually committed the offenses at the heart of the attack ad.”
(5) “Moving Texas Forward” PAC filings: http://www.ethics.state.tx.us/php/filer.php?acct=00066546GPAC
(6) “Texans For Good Leaders” PAC filings: http://www.ethics.state.tx.us/php/filer.php?acct=00058234GPAC